Sunday, June 5, 2011

#105 - Bachelor for a Week

It's a bit quiet around the house the past few days. On Friday, I took Teresa and Christopher to the airport for an eight day stay with family in Alabama. While they're away, it's just me and Oliver.

In a way, it's kind of like being a bachelor all over again. I can go to bed when I want, get up when I want (at least this weekend), and eat what I want when I want. Those are the up side.

On the other hand, there's no one around to have an adult conversation with or to talk about the day with. Because it's only me when it usually is the three of us, it's almost as if there's an echo or a hollowness around the house.

I planned to take the trailer out for three days while the family is in Alabama, but I don't think that's going to happen. For one thing, we have a delivery scheduled during those three days that I ought to be home to receive. For another, the weather isn't quite as nice during those three days as it has been this weekend.

Part of life and marriage is adapting and compromise. This week, I'm adapting to their absence. Saturday, I'll be compromising my sleep to pick them up at the airport after their late arrival home. And I'll be ready.

No comments: