Wednesday, September 18, 2013

#133 - Happy Anniversary, Baby. Got You on My Mind

Apologies to Little River Band, and while the rest of the lyrics don't really fit, the title seems appropriate given that today in my 20th wedding anniversary.

September 18, 1993 was a day that for many years I never thought would come. Growing up, I always hoped one day to marry, but I also knew I wasn't exactly what in those days some would call a "chick magnet." I didn't date in high school or college and had only been in two fairly short relationships when I met Teresa.

For years, I endured variations on the same question from my family every time someone else got married: "When are you getting married?" "When are you going to tie the knot?" Fortunately, I lived far enough away from the rest of my family at the time that I did not have to hear those questions too often. After I turned 30, the questions stopped. I'm not sure whether it was turning 30 or moving to Louisiana that did the trick.

Teresa and I went out once the summer of 1992 after which she decided, James Bond not withstanding, once was enough. By that fall, however, I guess I looked pitiful enough for long enough that her heart softened and she decided to mend this bird's broken wings.

We only dated a few months before I popped the question - on Teresa's birthday, January 9, 1993. I guess I was being clever, making sure I would always remember the date I proposed. Plus, I wanted to ask before Teresa had too much time to think about things.

We did most of the planning ourselves, even writing our own music for the wedding and creating a music tape for the reception. The first song at our wedding reception? Billy Idol's "White Wedding." It's remained a favorite of ours.

Our wedding on September 18, 1993 came toward the end of a year-long stretch where nearly everyone we knew was getting married. The weather that day was perfect, perhaps to help offset the occasional storm clouds we've weathered over the years.

The last 20 years have not always been easy for either of us. Most marriages, I suspect, have occasional ups and downs. I'm also sure I'm right in saying the past two decades are not quite what Teresa expected or perhaps hoped for. I'm glad, though, that she has stayed by me and with me through all the good and bad. I can't imaging what my life would have been like without her.

I wasn't sure what to give Teresa for a 20th wedding anniversary gift. We don't usually go in for big material displays. However, I did want to give her something. The song and the lyrics to "White Wedding" are already taken, so I hope this meager effort of mine below will suffice. Happy anniversary, Teresa. Thank you for these last 20 years. Here's to the next 20. I love you!

That's No Foolin'
(contemporary country style - upbeat tempo)
In the morning
Girl, I like your smile
In the evening
Girl, I like your style
Day or night time
You make life worthwhile
And that's no foolin'

In the morning
I just want to sing
About your lovin'
And the joy you bring
Got to tell you
You mean everything
And that's no foolin'

(Bridge - slower tempo:)
I know there have been times
When it hasn't been easy
We've had our ups and downs
And at times it's been rough
We've done a lot of living and learning together
But through good and bad
We've had each other
And that's enough

In the morning
Each and every day
In the evening
I just have to say
Glad I've got you
In my life to stay
And that's no foolin'

(Break:)
(Repeat Bridge:)

In the morning
I just want to sing
About your lovin'
And the joy you bring
Got to tell you
You mean everything
And that's no foolin'

No comments: