Saturday, March 2, 2013

#127 - The Times They Are a Changin'

First off, apologies to Bob Dylan. Not that he reads this blog, but his famous song of the 1960s (and album of the same name) seemed a nice point from which to launch into a discussion of change.

I recently finished reading what, for me, was a very profound book by Neale Donald Walsch called "When Everything Changes, Change Everything". Among other things, the book talks about changing the way one thinks about and reacts to change and by doing so actually influencing future changes in one's life.

The book also makes the argument that all change is for the better, even change that seems deeply disastrous at the time of its occurrence. Walsch refers back to his own life experiences of breaking his neck, losing his job, and becoming homeless, events which at the time were traumatic but which, in retrospect, he says were the best things to ever happen to him.

Walsch takes this argument to its logical conclusion, stating that change is life and arguing that life without change is not only boring, it is impossible. According to Walsch, change happens whether we want it or not. We cannot stop change, but we can control how we think about it.

There is much more worth reading in this book, but Walsch's thoughts on change were very timely in my life. Recently, the company I work for decided to sell off some of its assets, including the division I work for. Naturally, that has a number of people wondering, even worried about the future of their jobs. I am not one of them.

The division I work for is being split into two separate divisions, one remaining here in Boise, Idaho, the other located in Portland, Oregon. Because of my area of responsibility, the likelihood on paper is that my position will move to Portland. It might happen; it might not. Whether it does or does not, however, is out of my control.

What is in my control is how I react to, think about, and even prepare for that possibility. I choose not to let it govern my every waking hour and thought. At some point in the near future, I'll likely begin polishing my resume' and start looking for another opportunity somewhere.

I have no doubt that, should the need arise, I will find another job somewhere. I feel confident in my ability to respond to and even thrive through any changes in this area that might occur. Because the world around me isn't the only thing changing.

No comments: